Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Proud to Have Served

As we wrap up the remembrances for Veteran's Day, I felt moved to write down a few words, and share how proud I am to have served my country. A couple of days ago, as my wife and I were driving down Route 1 in Laurel, we passed the Armed Forces Recruitment Station. The logos for all of the military branches were emblazoned on the windows. I commented to my wife that, if I had never walked through those doors of the Federal Building in Richmond, Virginia back in 1976, life would be much different. This ride down Route 1 in Laurel would probably have never taken place. (...sort of like a "Back to the Future" moment)

After I asked the khaki-clad recruiter, in Richmond,about joining the Army for a couple of years, my life went into warp drive. That couple of years turned into about 25, with too many adventures to ever mention in a blog. I thought about how many other men, and women, have had their lives altered by the decision to serve. Many who even paid the ultimate sacrifice.

For me, serving in the Army was a privilege, as well as an opportunity. My current career as a registered nurse was birthed out of my Army service. As well as my two sons, and a couple of marraiges...but anyway... going through those doors can really change your life. I was fortunate not to have ever been on a combat deployment. I was heavily trained for combat though, since most of my Army career was during the "cold war." We were always preparing for the nuclear threat, and "pushing back the Russians if they came over the Fulda Gap." I didn't really know what any of that really meant, but I was well trained to defend it.

I was retired from the Army in August of 2001, almost exactly one month before the devastating events of September 11. I began working as a civilian at Walter Reed exactly one week before those events. As I watched those towers fall, I thought to myself...this is what they were talking about....this is what we were training for....this is what we have to defend against.

My respect and admiration is with all who have served, and all who continue to serve this great country. I continue to work at Walter Reed-Bethesda, and continue to see the sacrifices made by those who choose to defend this democracy. God bless each of you, and thank you for your service. I am very proud to have served!

No comments:

Post a Comment