Monday, June 3, 2013

And So It Begins!

Well, I wish that I could be there, but at 8:45am...this morning (3 June 2013), Lieutenant Governor Anthony Brown will announce his running mate for Governor on the Columbia Lakefront. Judging from all the emails, invitations, Facebook posts and robocalls that I've received....my guess is that his running mate will be Ken Ulman? Just a wild hunch...regarding the worst kept political secret in HoCo history. (I could be wrong, I've only been here for 12 years)
My first impression is that this is a formidable ticket. I think that Ken's path to the Governor's mansion would be...let's say...complicated. Teaming up with Anthony is an excellent move. Although they make a strong team, the primary will not be a cakewalk. Heather Mizeur surprised everyone earlier this year by winning a straw poll for Governor out in Western Maryland. Doug Gansler has raised an impressive amount of money in his gubernatorial bid. It is rumored that he may announce in the fall....but I'm wondering if his camp may change their strategy. Who will be Doug's running mate? Heather?? ( So many people have squashed that theory for me in the past few days.....but politics can be unpredictable) Dutch Rupperberger is also rumored to be looking at being a candidate....he must be getting tired of the nonsense in DC.
I wish Anthony and Ken all the best. We honored Ken last week at the Howard County Democratic Party Jefferson Jackson Dinner. It was well deserved. He has accomplished so much in his 39 years, and he will continue to make strides for the county and state of Maryland.
So those who can make it...have fun at the Lakefront celebration. I will be there in spirit, knowing that this is only the beginning, of what will be a very interesting election season.

No comments:

Post a Comment