Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Forums and Debates....Oh My!

My wife and I attended a congressional debate (or rather forum) given by the League of Women Voters in Ellicott City on last night. It was an interesting discussion featuring some of the local congressional candidates. The format established by the LWV did squash any opportunity for lofty rhetoric, but that didn't stop some candidates from trying.

As mentioned in MM's blog, Congressman John Sarbanes and Congressman  Elijah Cummings were the apparent standouts of all  the speakers. I'm not just saying this because I am a Democrat, or because they are incumbents. Even if I wasn't affiliated with a party, they would have appeared to be the most experienced, and the most prepared. I do admire the passion of Frank Mirabile, the Republican who is challenging Congressman Cummings for the congressional seat in the 7th District. His answers focused primarily on what can be done for Baltimore though, with very faint references to Howard County. He did consistently ignore the STOP sign held up by the timekeeper. And he wanted to keep talking...even after the forum was declared over...done....fini.

Mr. Sarbanes challengers for the 3rd District seemed to be a little more reticent, and were very new to me. Eric Knowles sounded as if he had memorized all of Paul Ryan's talking points, and although he spoke eloquently, his answers followed the old GOP mandate. Less government interference, more private sector jobs....blah, blah, blah. All the stuff that we've heard before. Paul Drgos admitted that he was new to the Libertarian Party, and left the Republican Party because of a difference of opinion....but he really offered no new ideas. His answers sounded awfully Republicanish to me.

To be fair, there were no earth shattering revelations at the forum. Nothing that would make me change my vote. I think that these exercises serve as an excellent tool for meeting the candidates and to see where they stand on issues. I applaud the LWV for having them, and for setting the standard on how to conduct forums. I recently had one for school board candidates with the Columbia Democratic Club. That event taught me that all of the school board candidates......are very nice people.

As for the "Great Debate" tonight, we'll see. There is so much hype around this thing, that (as I mentioned on my Facebook page this morning) it's almost "anticlimatic" already. Most Presidential and Vice-Presidential debates are usually remembered for their "gaffes" anyway, with very little mention of anything with substance. Most of what either candidate will say tonight....we've heard before. I don't expect much movement in the polls, although Romney could benefit...just for showing up....and getting in a good "zinger" or two. It seems that his whole campaign is hanging on his debate performance tonight. So what does that say about his campaign? Like most of America.....I'll be watching..........and GO O's (Nats too!!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jonathan, If you ever write blog posts that are specific to #HoCoMd, would you kindly add the term Hocoblogs@@@ to your post (in the text). That will put your post automatically in the community section of hocoblogs. Thanks! :-) Jessie

    ReplyDelete